Tuesday, August 26, 2008

TP


I'm not sure but I think I may have really missed the boat when it comes to Terrelle Pryor.

The recruiting of this guy was off the charts. A ridiculous waste of time and energy was spent wondering whether or not TP would pick Ohio State or someone else.

The general consensus was that if Pryor picked Michigan, the Buckeyes would be just fine. That didn't stop rabid (also spelled i-d-i-o-t) Ohio State fans from pining day and night over the every word that came out of this high school student's mouth.

From 1,000 miles away, it seems to me that he's a very talented kid, but not at all ready to run an offense in big-time college football. No one's expecting him to beat out Todd Boeckman by the way. I'm just wondering why so much attention is paid to a kid that looks to me to be taking a few snaps a game, if that much.

So now I click over to espn.com for the hell of it and sure enough, there is the young Mr. Pryor showing up seemingly for no reason at all. Right there under 'Strahan turns down Giants, stays retired', you have 'Pryor might play against Youngstown State'.

MIGHT PLAY!?

Are you fucking kidding me?

No wonder Michael Phelps was made out to be Jesus incarnate.

Here's a kid that has yet to do SQUAT in the college game and yet we need up-to-the-minute coverage on whether or not he'll play against the PENGUINS?

I suppose I'm going down the same road I did with Phelps. I have no issue with the athlete persay, I'm just wondering why in God's name we have to elevate people to 'Brett Favre-status' so quickly? Let TP show us just for a brief instant that he might some day be what we think he might before falling all over ourselves to hear what he has to say and own what he has to sign.

CALM DOWN PEOPLE.

That's all I'm saying.

The best possible scenario for the Buckeyes this season is that we see limited 'input' from Terrelle Pryor. Too much TP means one of two things. Either Todd Boeckman's not getting it done or Pryor is just that effective.

I'd love to think that the latter is possible but years and years of watching college football have taught me that true freshmen (particularly at QB) have a very hard time being effective over the course of a season.

I'm tired of the Tim Tebow references when it comes to TP. Tebow was a bit part player on a very talented football team his freshman season that happened to win the national title. Yes, there was much hype surrounding him but in hindsight no one's saying "BOY, they should have sat down Chris Leak and let Tebow run the team!"

There is a very good reason that Jim Bauserman is the second string QB on the depth chart right now. That's because he's a BETTER QB then TP right now.

Pryor will have his day, it just isn't today. We'll call on him to carry the load at some point, it's just not now. Remember that when you're watching him rumble down the field against Youngstown State in the fourth quarter with the Buckeyes up by four TD's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen Brett Favre play? How about Joe Montana? Steve Young? Johnny Unitas?


Pryor is all them rolled into one, combined with the arm strength of Warren Moon and the legs of Randall Cunningham. He also has the toughness of Ric Flair and the elusiveness of Don Corleone.

I'm predicting he wins 5 heisman trophies and cures cancer while at OSU.