Friday, August 22, 2008

Maxing out Beijing!


The final thoughts from Beijing [I'LL BE OUT OF TOWN AT A WEDDING FOR THE NEXT TWO DAYS].

The U.S. men's basketball team will take on Spain in the final (gold medal game) this weekend. There's one thing I'll say about the Spanish basketball team, they can complain with the best of'em. World class bitching to the refs. SOLID!

I saw a 38-year-old woman win the marathon. Thirty-eight! Best in the world!

I saw American swimmer Darra Torres win a silver medal at 41-years-old. Almost had gold, she lost by one one-hundreth of a second. It doesn't get closer then that outside of bobsledding.

I saw a boxer from Thailand advance deep into the medal round. How many Olympic athletes does Thailand have you think?

I saw a swimmer from Tunisia win a medal. TUNISIA?

All of these athletes may seem inconsequential, but they're what make the Olympics worth watching. To most of us, it's just something on T.V. To the people involved? It's probably the most important thing they'll ever do in their entire lives. How about that?

Of course, here comes college football...

No comments: