Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Phelps II

Forgot to mention this too.

I caught a column from Bill Plaschke with the LA Times today talking about how Michael Phelps is even better then we thought he was because he won a race with water in his goggles.

WATER IN HIS GOGGLES?

This is the great adversity?

Jesse Owens was viewed as racially inferior by not only the host nation, but by his OWN nation when he won gold in Berlin in 1936.

Phelps is viewed as inferior by...LeBron James?

I mean, c'mon, water in the goggles? Get the fuck out of here.

I'll let you in on a little secret. I'm a very strong swimmer. Part fish in fact.

I've hardly ever worn goggles in my whole life and I've never once seen it as a hindrance. Yeah, I suppose it's a bit annoying to get water in the goggles. As you can clearly see from the underwater shots from NBC, the water is crystal clear.

It's not like Mikey P. is having to navigate the murky depths of Loch Ness now is it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The problem with water in the goggles is that it skews your depth perception due to the light waves and refraction off the water surface. So it could cause an inferior swimmer to lunge for the walk a stroke too early and be the difference between a gold and nothing.

It would be like playing a football game with only one contact in.