Friday, August 22, 2008

New OSU helmets for 2008!


Just kidding.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing how tough these guys would be today without pads or face masks for a game or two.

It's about five days until the season starts, so I'll take a quick break from the tail end of the Olympics to focus on college pigskin. Thank Zeus for the Olympics though. Without the welcomed, 24-hour, sports-bonanza distraction I might already be sick of college football at this point.

Well, check that, I'd have had it with training camp reports at least. The only thing more exciting then training camp reports are insurance seminars.

How about a few more thoughts on the coming season from reputable sources?

We've seen the AP, we've seen the Coach's Poll. Everything seems to be on the up-and-up so far.

Collegefootballnews.com has also released their preseason rankings. If you're not familiar with cfn.com, you should be. In general I find their opinions to be level-headed and on-the-money, especially those of publisher and primary contributor Pete Fiutak.

Surprise, surprise, College Football News has OSU #1, with UGA #2. Then again, maybe that isn't such a surprise considering how many first place votes we've seen the Buckeyes receive in the other polls.

For the record, CFN has USC #3, Florida #4 and Oklahoma #5.

A nice dig from Fiutak to sum up the 2008 Buckeyes:

Relative Strengths: Running Backs, Secondary
Relative Weaknesses: The SEC


I'd say that's pretty accurate.

And now comments from the good ship ESPN.

First off, Columbus' favorite son, Kirk Herbstreit.

He has Florida number one. He and SI.com's Stewart Mandel have both stated that their AP ballots were due on August 1st. If they had to vote today neither one of them would have voted UGA the 'top Dawg' due to the major injury at left tackle.

As I've said before, I think things line up much better schedule-wise for Florida then they do for Georgia this year. So personally, I've got the Gators ahead of the Bulldogs (right now) too. I'm sure Mandel and Herbie are thrilled to hear that I concur.

How about a few more views from ESPN 'heads?

Sportscenter gave us the Todd McShay-Mel Kiper Jr. split-screen the other night to discuss the '08 season. MAN is that good television.

I love this piece because you get to see the hardest-working-hair in showbiz. And you have to hand it to Kiper Jr. He created an entire bullshit industry out of nothing.

Then there's Todd McShay, the heir-apparent to Kiper Jr's "empire of hot air". I could be wrong, but I think if you go to dictionary.com and search for 'date rapist', you're probably going to be delivered a picture of McShay. If this dude showed up to take my daughter out for the evening I'd hand her a Taser and an untraceable .22 when he wasn't looking.

Anyway, as far as their projections.

McShay has Florida first, followed by OSU, UGA, USC, and Clemson. Although for some reason the graphic they ran next to him had UGA first, followed by UF, OSU, USC then Clemson. I'm guessing he is right in step with Herbie on this one, which makes sense in my opinion.

Old Man Kiper is holding onto the antiquated notion that last year's number one is still number one until they're knocked off. That's right, he's got LSU up top.

I have no doubts that LSU is a strong team and will continue to be a strong team. However, THEY DON'T HAVE A QB THAT'S THROWN A SINGLE PASS! I'm sorry, but you can't be the best team in America with a first-year starter at quarterback. I'm sure there is an example to the contrary out there but there are much safer bets then LSU this season, I'll put it that way.

Mel also said the following:

- Georgia is the most overrated [MAYBE]
- OSU is #2
- OSU will win it all
- Northwestern will get EIGHT WINS!?

Last comment on the first McShay-Kiper "battle" of the season. After Mel stated that UGA is the most overrated, McShay agreed with him! Really Todd (if that's your real name)? If they're the most overrated then why did you have them at the top of your list a few minutes ago?

Phony asshole.

If you want to find Todd to talk about his rankings you can find him in the ESPN cafeteria making a female intern uncomfortable.

No comments: