Sunday, August 3, 2008

Colts vs. Redskins


As anticipated, I watched the Colts vs. 'Skins preseason game almost in his entirety. I was jonesing hard for football.

Being such a nerd when it comes to college football, I can always find players I'm somewhat familiar with to follow in preseason games, even in the 4th quarter. The Buckeyes in particular have enough dudes sprinkled around the league that there's almost always one on the field of any game.

Roy Hall and Anthony Gonzalez are playing WR for the Colts. Gonzo is approximately the third WR on the depth chart right now. That's the funny thing about football, put Roy Hall and Anthony next to each other in front of someone that doesn't know better and see which they suspect was selected in the first round of the draft.

I was surprised to see Doug Datish playing late in the game for the Colts. Just curious as to why the Falcons cut Datish after only one season. He was injured in training camp and never played a down for Altanta. To my knowledge was not career-threatening.

So again, why bail on a draft pick so quickly? It's not like he was running an illegal dog fighting ring on the side or anything.

Shawn Springs was the third overall pick in the draft more then 10 years ago? Time flies.

Other players of note in the game include former Wisconsin QB Jim Sorgi who started the game with Peyton Manning injured. Sorgi in my mind will always be the guy that OSU linebacker Rob Reynolds tried to choke out in Madison. I'd say that was about the dirtiest play I've ever seen in football.

Michigan's Mouthy Mike Hart got carries for the Colts late in the game. I wonder if Roy Hall and Anthony Gonzalez ever leave "0-4" notes in his locker? There was speculation during the game that Hart will struggle to make the team since he's behind veterans Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes on the depth chart.

Hard to belief the self-proclaimed 'best running back' would be fighting for an NFL roster spot. In all fairness he looked pretty good tonight. My guess is he'll stick.

Perhaps the best player on the field tonight? It may have been rookie 'Skins QB Colt Brennan out of Hawaii. I would say he easily outplayed every other QB in the game from either team. I think he is going to quickly dispel the notion that he is a system QB.

I'd still rather watch the 'Hefty Lefty' Jared Lorenzen playing QB though. He struggled in a Colts uniform tonight. It's not every day you get to see an offensive lineman taking snaps instead of delivering them.

And finally, the least surprising aspect of tonight's game was John Madden apologizing for all the horseshit Brett Favre has put the Packers through. I swear, if Brett Favre had gotten off that Leer Jet dragging a train of dead babies behind him, Madden would have found some way to explain it away.

John Madden is an asshole. Brett Favre is an asshole. How's that for a closing argument?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

0-4 is FIFTH on the depth chart. He is currently behind Addai, Rhodes, Kenton Keith and Clifton Dawson.

I look for him to beat out Dawson and play some special teams, but not much else.

This is Kige Ramsey for YouTube Sports.