Sunday, July 13, 2008

Off topic rant, proceed at your own risk.


I have seen this commercial one too many times now and it infuriates me every time. Anyone else see the ad for the 9/11 commemorative $20 coin?

Get it? Nine plus 11 equals 20! Wow, that's brilliant.

Is this the lowest, most vial, overly opportunistic, business enterprise you've ever encountered? Maybe I'm overreacting but I doubt it. I see folks pedaling photos and portraits of the Twin Towers around Ground Zero all the time. Somehow, I find that considerably less slimy then these TV commercials.

Is it important to remember the events of 9/11/01 in our nation's history? Of course. The significance of the 'hole in the sky' I see every day has never once been lost on me.

That being said, is a commemorative coin that is marketed to the masses through a low budget TV spot the absolute worst way to accomplish said remembrance? In my opinion, yes. In addition, the whole thing is tacky, insensitive, and in poor taste.

And here's another question? Who in God's name is buying this garbage? Commemorative coins? Obviously there is some market for these things since I see a new stupid-ass commercial for one of these deals every few months.

You've got the "Buffalo dollar", the "Alaskan quarter", the "Showbiz Pizza token" and any other manner of lame metal being mass marketed by some shady, so-called "mint".

Seriously, who collects coins? The last coin collection I saw belonged to Owen (Danny DeVito) in the movie 'Throw Momma From the Train'. That was 1987 for those of you scoring at home.

Don't worry, once we hit training camp you won't have to read this drivel.

In the meantime, eff the coin commercials!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable I was at a hotel here tonight in Nashville Indiana, Yeah thats right Nashville Indiana. I saw Elvis at the bar and on a more serious note sat next to a 61 year guy named Jon who rides Harleys for a livin. We both got a glimpse of this ridiculous commercial and the first thing that crossed my mind was it happen 7 years ago. Why do they make a 2008 commerative coin. I have to admit that is a good price!! HA!