Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I-Rod to the Yanks


First off, I was wrong. I told my brother earlier tonight that there were probably about 20 guys with the last name 'Rodriguez' in the Major Leagues. I was half joking. Turns out, there are 24 according to mlb.com.

One of those, Ivan Rodriguez, A.K.A. I-Rod, is headed from Detroit to the Yankees.

Isn't Detroit in a pennant race? They're six games back right now. Considering the expectations they came into this season with is it really white flag time? It seems a little bit puzzling but what do I know?

As for the Yankees, consider the following:

- They have money to burn, so throwing some extra dough at I-Rod is no big deal.

- Jorge Posada is done for the season.

- Posada's backup, Jose Molina seemed to be a serviceable player but after looking at the stats, it's obvious I-Rod is the better hitter this season and over the last ten games.

Again, I'm never going to say that I know more about baseball then the Yankees.

I do find it interesting that the Yankees now have these three guys on their roster; Ivan Rodriguez, Andy Pettite and Jason Giambi. What do those three have in common? Performance-enhancing drugs. The interesting thing is that these three players find themselves sprinkled across the doping spectrum.

Andy Pettite straight-up confessed to using HGH while recovering from injury. Guess what? No one ever mentions it anymore and he has gone on with his career practically without repurcussion.

Jason Giambi admitted to "something" but never actually answered to taking juice even though everyone knows goddamn well what he was talking about. Now people are wearing mustaches to Yankee Stadium to honor this clown. Again, no repurcussions.

And now you add I-Rod to the mix. I am still trying to figure out how I-Rod has been given a free pass while Barry Bonds has been exiled from baseball. If ever there was a guy that was quite obviously juiced up to the point that he'd been turned into some sort of freak, it's I-Rod.

The Yankee catcher was on the same team as Jose Canseco. He was fingered by Canseco in his book. More damning, he lost 22 lbs. in one offseason and attributed it to Atkins. Sure buddy, sure.

I understand that there were many baseball players on the sauce over the last ten years. You'd think at some point there would be some consequences for those actions, especially in obvious cases like I-Rod.

Apparently baseball has more important things to do though, like deciding whether or not to use video when determining what's a home run and what isn't.

Are you kidding me? Tennis has figured out how to call a ball in or out without the human eye. You think we can't do the same with a baseball?

No comments: