Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dominating D?


The Columbus Dispatch's Ken Gordon defends his assessment of Ohio State's defense in his latest blog entry.

Essentially Ken's thesis is that while Ohio State's defense was extremely stout last season, they weren't A+. My gut tells me to buy that notion. And my gut is ample.

Unless I'm utilizing the inter-web incorrectly, the 2007 Buckeyes held opponents to fewer points and fewer yards then any other team in the country. If you think that's not accurate, let me know. According to Yahoo!, through the regular season, that was the case.

Ken Gordon breaks it down further though and suggests that when Ohio State's defense faces a strong quarterback and strong running back that they are not as successful. You know, that's an interesting thought, because when I drive my car through a toll plaza as opposed to a brick wall, I usually register better results too.

My off-the-cuff assessment of the Buckeyes' defense is that while they have some extremely talented football players (Malcolm Jenkins, James Laurinaitis), they lack the vicious killer that every signature unit possesses. I don't see any Mike Doss on the roster at the moment. Hopefully I am way off on this one and someone will emerge who is willing to separate running backs and wide receivers from the rest of their body.

No comments: