Saturday, October 11, 2008

Closers are not impressive

Not even close.

I just watched Papelbon or whatever the fuck his name is close it out for the Sox in the first game of the ALCS against the Rays.

I'm not sure if there is a more overrated position in professional sports then MLB 'Closer'. These guys are so great?

My take is, if they were really worth a shit they wouldn't be closing, they'd be STARTING. From what I've seen of Major League Baseball, it appears to me that pitchers that can't hack it as a starter get sent to the 'pen.

When was the last time a bullpen pitcher turned into a reliable starter?

I know, it happens from time to time but really? Any great starters coming out of the bullpen lately?

And seriously, what's harder? Start the game trying to pitch a CG or roll in during the 9th inning to pitch to three guys that are tired from playing the entire game?

And with that being said, Mariano Rivera is the most overrated pro athlete in the history of sports! That's right! I said it!

Is he a good pitcher?

Absolutely.

If he were really 'great' would be he starting?

YES!

Throw smoke for more then 15 minutes. That's what I want to see.

Otherwise you're a practice dummy as far as I'm concerned.

Eff Papelbon. Eff Rivera.

And eff you too.

Good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have much to learn about baseball matthew.