Sunday, January 11, 2009

"You called down the Thunder..."

If you haven't seen 'Tropic Thunder', I highly recommend you do so. It's not the most hilarious movie of all time by any stretch but it "strong to very strong" as Ben Stiller would say. I would say it's much better then anything Will Ferrell has produced since 'Old School'.

I watched it three times last week. Director's cut twice, actor's commentary once.

On a related note, Tim Tebow has played three years of college football. He's got two national titles and the year he didn't hoist the trophy he claimed the Heisman. That's some rare air up there.

Oh, and he's coming back for another title and another Heisman next year. I hate that guy.

Anyway, back to the 'Thunder'. The highlight of the movie for me, is the incredibly talented Robert Downey Jr. who spends most of the movie as the character Sgt. Lincoln Osiris. This may sound crazy but it's one of the best acting jobs I've ever seen, primarily because Osiris is an African-American Vietnam soldier and Downey Jr., well...isn't.

During my third screening of the movie I was still picking up things that Sgt. Osiris says that I couldn't understand the first time. This is one of the reasons I recommend seeing it more then once.

The actor's commentary features Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr., and Jack Black. Here's the best part though, Downey Jr. does almost the entire commentary using the voice of Lincoln Osiris. It's gold.

Oh, and another major plus with this movie is the minor role by Tom Cruise. He plays a slimy Hollywood producer. Think 'Suge Knight crossed with Entourage's Ari Gold'. The Cruise is wearing enough make-up and prosthesis to nearly conceal his identity. Again, good stuff.

Go check it out. Right. Now.

No comments: