Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pearl Jam, Madison Square Garden, 6/24/08


OK, wanted to get this down while it’s still fresh.

First off, Ed and the gang reminded me tonight why they’re the only rock band to survive the ‘90’s. I’m sure I’m slighting someone but I don’t know of anyone else from that era that can still sell out arenas across the country.

Secondly, I got a text from Jason Kanter (who was in Austin, TX last night) before the concert saying, “Did you hear what happened last night?” No, what Kanter? “Eddie has the flu and had to leave after seven songs. Neil Young filled in.” Kanter had heard some DJ in Austin talking about it.

WHAT? No offense to Neil Young but I’m paying to see Pearl Jam, not Neil.

We scrambled around on the internet to see if we could find anything. Nothing. Turns out this was a concert in 1995 that the guy was talking about. Glad that DJ is on top of it. Anyway, thanks for scaring the crap out of me Kanter.

On to the concert…

There’s nothing like pre-partying in the privacy and relative economic safe haven of your own midtown, Manhattan apartment (thanks to Mr. David Levine) one block away from Madison Square Garden. While getting home was a bit of a pain (thank you 45 minute wait in the 33rd St. PATH station at 2:00 AM), I can’t say that getting to a concert has ever been easier.

First was a five-minute walk to the ferry from my front door. Then a 20 minute boat ride with only two other passengers as we cruised past the Statue of Liberty en route to Wall St. Another five minute walk past the NY Stock Exchange to the subway and then just four quick stops to my destination (midtown). For those of you out in Daisyville that might sound like a pain but for me it was just short of a magic carpet ride.

Anyway, let’s get to the fuckin’ music.

First song out of the gate, ‘Hard To Imagine’. Great song. Certainly was not one of my Top 10 going into this concert but it worked very well as the opener. Nothing like hearing 20K+ screaming “IT’S HAAAARD TO IMAGINE!!” Again, awesome song to open with and I would never have thought that would be the case!

The highlight of the opener was Dave Levine yelling, “FUCKIN’ PEARL JAM!!” as it cranked up.

By the way, it took me 20 minutes of frantic internet searching to figure out where the hell ‘Hard To Imagine’ came from, or rather, what album it was on. Turns out it was released along with ‘Lost Dogs’. Never would have guessed that I don’t think.

Next song, ‘Save You’ off of ‘Riot Act’. My one request to Dave heading into this show was, “Not too much Riot Act dude.”

Turns out, ‘Save You’ was perfectly acceptable behind the slightly slower-paced ‘Hard To Imagine’. No complaints thus far.

Here’s where the juices really got flowing. The familiar, pulsating drumbeat of ‘Why Go’ (off of Ten) started reverberating through Madison Square Garden and everyone started screaming. That’s the only way to describe it. That was the great thing about this particular concert, it was absolutely deafening at times, and I’m not talking about the band. The crowd was making MSG shake.

I would have to think it has something to do with where we sat (behind the stage) but I can’t think of a crowd that I’ve ever seen that made more noise. When PJ played “the hits”, you couldn’t even hear the band.

For me, ‘Why Go’ was epic. Nothing like hearing the crowd at MSG scream in unison…

“She’s been diagnosed, by some stupid FUCK, and Mommy agrees YEAH!”

Eddie then addressed the crowd for the first time. He assured us that “special arrangements” had been made so that they could play as long as they want. I don’t understand why it’s against the law to have a concert go past 11:00 PM at an indoor arena in the middle of NYC. Eleven o’clock at night in the heart of New York City is the equivalent of 8:15 PM anywhere else. It’s a cliché but this city really doesn’t sleep.

Our resident labor union expert Dave Levine would later explain to me that it’s the vendors and maintenance staff that actually institute that rule. Great. Glad the guy slinging hot dogs is maintaining curfew for the rest of us.

Ed also made the obvious comparison between playing the Garden and doing mushrooms. Ain’t that the truth brother? Huh?

It’s like doing mushrooms, you remember it being fun, but it still feels weird.”

Right.

Next was your typical Eddie Vedder BS. Something called ‘All Night’ that he claimed they wrote 12 years ago or something. Face it folks, if you’re going to see the greats, you’re going to have to put up with some crap. These guys get bored too.

Next up was ‘Corduroy’. What can you say about the only song that has been played at every single PJ concert for more then a decade that hasn’t already been said? How about this? “Beer run?”

Don’t get me wrong, ‘Corduroy ‘ is one of my Top Five PJ songs. That’s a fact. I’ve probably heard it over 1,000 times at this point. Seriously. No need to defend myself.

Next up is probably the highlight of the concert for me. Off of my favorite post-Vs. album, ‘Yield’, it’s an absolute anthem in my mind, ‘Faithful’.

We all believe, We all believe, yeah!”

Wow, what a song. Words can’t do it justice. It was at that moment that I remembered how special seeing Pearl Jam live really is. Sure you can buy the DVD’s and the concert CD’s. There is NO substitute for the real thing.

Eddie of course squeezed in some political rhetoric but frankly, I couldn’t make out much of it. I caught at least one whore-bag in the row in front of us giving Ed the finger. The crowd was interesting. You usually get some contingent of attendees at this concert that want the band to do just ‘Ten’ and ‘Vs.’. They are entitled to their opinion but I’m entitled to mine as well. These people are idiots and should not be allowed to walk the streets. Is that too harsh?

Following ‘Faithful’ it’s another mega-anthem…

One, two, three, four, two three, I seeeem to recogniiize, your faaace!”

One of the great sing-alongs of my generation. Boy can the crowd belt out ‘Elderly Woman’. This time was no different.

I just want to scream, HELLLOOOOOO!!”

That will never get old.

Next was ‘Down’. A song that technically was not on the ‘Riot Act’ album but was released right about the same time.

That was followed by more Vedder rhetoric that we could barely make out, and then ‘Unemployable’ off of their latest, ‘Pearl Jam’.

Other then the one time I saw PJ from the 7th row at Riverbend in Cincinnati, last night might have actually been the closest I’ve been to the stage in terms of straight line distance. While our view of the stage was not bad, the sound quality from the upper corner behind the stage was not great. The only benefit was that when the crowd was belting it out you really hear it. Although I’m not sure that wouldn’t be the same anywhere inside the arena.

Next was another gem off of ‘Yield’, ‘Given to Fly’. Another great song to sing along with. They always put the lights on the crowd for this one so you can see them/us “flying”.

Arms wide open with the sea as his floor…”

I’ll be honest, the next three songs for me were called, ‘Bathroom’, ‘Beer Run’, and the always popular, ‘Smoke Break’. Unfortunately PJ didn’t stop the show for me. They just kept right on going, those selfish SOB’s. They countered my trifecta with ‘Who You Are’, ‘Whipping’ and ‘1/2 Full’. The associated albums are ‘No Code’, ‘Vitalogy’ and ‘Riot Act’ for those of you scoring at home.

They closed out the first set with ‘Evenflow’, ‘Present Tense’, Daughter’ and ‘Do the Evolution’. I would love to know how many times I’ve heard ‘Evenflow’ since 1992. Is it 1,000? Maybe 2,000? ‘Present Tense’ is an underrated sing-along that sounds great in concert. ‘Daughter’ did not feature any particular grand tag at the end which is fine with me. Eddie did manage to work a “Lets-go-Rangers!” chant in there though for the Madison Square Garden crowd.

That does it for the opening act. You knew there would be an encore, the question is how many and for how long?

The first encore featured ‘Love Reign O’er Me’ (2006 holiday album), ‘W.M.A’, ‘Leash’, ‘Spin the Black Circle’, ‘Wasted Reprise’ (Pearl Jam), and ‘Porch’. ‘Porch’ and ‘Leash’? Are fuckin’ kidding me!!?? The guitar solo during ‘Porch’ featured Eddie strutting around on the sides of the stage smoking a cigarette while McReady tore it up. ‘Leash’ was spectacular with the whole crowd chanting…

DROP THE LEASH! DROP THE LEASH! GET OUT OF MY FUCKIN’ FACE!”

The end of the first encore brings us to my last beer run of the night. I stood in line for 15 minutes and watched the guy pouring $8 beers get pissed at a few guys for what reason I have no idea. Also, since when do you get to spill your beer then return to the front of the line to ask for a refill? Anyway, much to my chagrin the last beers were squeezed out of the tap when I was next in line. Cripes! No matter, not like I needed it at that point anyway.

Ed and company came back on stage for the second encore and gave us ‘No More’ (which I wouldn’t know if they walked in here and sang to my kitchen), ‘Crazy Mary’, ‘Comatose’ (Pearl Jam), ‘I Believe in Miracles’ and ‘Alive’.

There is nothing like 20K+ singing “No L-O-I-T-E-R-I-N-G allowed!” during ‘Crazy Mary’. That’s one of my absolute favorites.

‘I Believe in Miracles’ is a Ramones song. Before it was played Eddie explained to the audience that The Ramones never had the chance to play Madison Square Garden and then brought C.J. Ramone on stage to play along during ‘Miracles’. It wasn’t bad for a song I’d never heard and will never hear again.

Then we heard the familiar opening power chords of ‘Alive’ which will always be one of the great crowd pleasers of our generation. As was the theme throughout the concert, the crowd really got into it and practically drowned out the band while singing along.

Yes, there was a third encore. First the band punched out a blistering ‘All Along the Watchtower’ which is not one I’ve ever heard out of the Pearl Jam before.

And finally to wrap it all up, the Dave Levine special, ‘Indifference’. It’s easily one of the most underrated songs in the entire Pearl Jam catalog. “Disco Machine” Levine was calling for it all night along with ‘Release’. He didn’t get ‘Release’ and incorrectly identified ‘Indifference’ as ‘Release’ as it opened but we’ll take it. Yet another great song to sing-along with. I don’t care what anyone says, Pearl Jam is the best band on the planet.

I can still hear it…

I will hold the candle, till it burns up my arm
I'll keep takin' punches, until their will grows tired
Oh I will stare the sun down, until my eyes go blind
Hey I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind

how much difference does it make
how much difference does it make..
how much difference...

I'll swallow poison, until I grow immune
I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room

How much difference
How much difference
How much difference does it make
How much difference does it make...


Set 1
Hard To Imagine, Save You, Why Go, All Night, Corduroy, Faithfull, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Down, Unemployable, Given To Fly, Who You Are, Whipping, 1/2 Full, Even Flow, Present Tense, Daughter, Do The Evolution
Encore 1
Love Reign O'er Me, W.M.A., Leash, Spin The Black Circle, Wasted Reprise, Porch
Encore 2
No More, Crazy Mary, Comatose, I Believe In Miracles, Alive
Encore 3
All Along The Watchtower, Indifference

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Figured out what 'No More' from the second encore is. That's one of Ed's songs off the 'Into the Wild' soundtrack. Now that I've listened to it I remember how well the crowd sang along with the chorus despite the fact that 80% of the people in MSG had never heard it before.

Good song. Hopefully I can get PJ to come sing it to my kitchen.

Naplesbuckeye said...

Thank god for Dolan who can help with your research. Oh wait he is too busy walking off the pizza.

the dumpster said...

I think I just tore my sac.